Certain herbs can help take the edge off an ear infection. The following herbs can be combined in a tea to help relieve and heal this painful condition:
- Actions: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory (reduces pain), vulnerary (encourages healing), calms the nervous system
- Actions: antimicrobial, enhances immune function, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal (loosens mucus – think eustachian tube), vulnerary
- Actions: demulcent (protects mucosal tissues and helps thin thickened mucus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant
- Slippery Elm
- Actions: demulcent, astringent, anti-inflammatory, nutritive
- Sambucus (Black Elder)
- Actions: expectorant, diaphoretic (enhances sweating – aids fever), vulnerary, anti-catarrhal
Do not consume if allergic to Asteraceae (Asters) or Chrysanthemum family herbs/plants.
Consult your naturopathic doctor or registered herbalist to see if this tea is indicated for you.