Certain herbs can help take the edge off an ear infection. The following herbs can be combined in a tea to help relieve and heal this painful condition:
- Actions: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory (reduces pain), vulnerary (encourages healing), calms the nervous system
- Actions: antimicrobial, enhances immune function, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal (loosens mucus – think eustachian tube), vulnerary
- Actions: demulcent (protects mucosal tissues and helps thin thickened mucus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant
- Slippery Elm
- Actions: demulcent, astringent, anti-inflammatory, nutritive
- Sambucus (Black Elder)
- Actions: expectorant, diaphoretic (enhances sweating – aids fever), vulnerary, anti-catarrhal
Do not consume if allergic to Asteraceae (Asters) or Chrysanthemum family herbs/plants.
Consult your naturopathic doctor or registered herbalist to see if this tea is indicated for you.
Posted in Ear, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation, Sore Throat & Colds
Tagged althea, black, chamomile, chamomilla, Ear, ear infection, earache, echinacea, elder, elm, herb, herbal, marshmallow, natural, naturopath, pain, remedy, safe, sambucus, slippery, Tea, treat, ulmus
I remember my father having to pause, annoyed, as he rested his eyes from a sudden incident of “welder’s flashburn.” This is like a sunburn to the eye, the more serious burns resulting in pain and redness. A proper assessment by your doctor is highly recommended for this event; however, few will actually go. To preserve your vision for your senior years, here are 4 practical treatments that offer relief and effective recovery for an eye flashburn/sunburn:
- Raw potato poultice – shred potato, clump it together and apply to closed eye(s)
- Vitamin A oil drops – apply to open eye(s)
- Cold pack – apply to closed eye(s) for 10 minutes
- Euphrasia 30Ch homeopathic – take as per label
FYI: potatoes can stain purple or black.
Consult your ND or MD as to whether any of the above remedies are right for you.
Posted in Eye, First Aid, Home Page, Homeopathics, Pain & Inflammation, Poultices, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged Burn, euphrasia, eye trauma, eyes, flashburn, Home Remedy, homeopathy, Medicine, natural, naturopath, Potato, Poultice, sunburn, trauma, vision, Vitamin A, welder, welding
Maybe it’s just me, but shingles seems to be on the rise. Like any other herpes virus (e.g. cold sores) it may be helpful to supplement with the amino acid lysine to decrease the duration, while avoiding the amino acid arginine (arginine can worsen or prolong the outbreak). Foods high in arginine are turkey, pork, chicken, soy, dairy, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, and peas. Talk to your ND to see if this is the right choice for you.
Posted in Cold Sores, Emergency, Herpes, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation, Prescription Foods, Skin, Supplements/Vitamins
Tagged Alternative, arginine, cure, Food, Home Remedy, lysine, natural, naturopath, Shingles
Okay, here’s what to do:
- Brew yourself the strongest batch of black tea you possibly can.
- Cool it down to a temperature your skin finds comfortable.
- Immerse a cotton ball or take one of the tea bags and place it directly on the ‘rhoid.
- Get comfy on your stomach and read a book or watch a movie to pass the time – keep it peaceful- nothing scary like The Hole.
No matter what the size the evil gremlins may be, the natural tannins of the tea will send these little minions back into the dark abyss from whence they came… and put an end to their evil, itch-filled assault on your anus.
Posted in Hemorrhoids, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation
Tagged Alternative, Alyssa Milano, Anus, black tea, charmed, Health, Hemorrhoid, Herbs, High Five, itch, Jesus, natural, naturopath, pain, Piper, Prue, Rectum, Shannen Doherty, Shopping, The Hole
Here’s a recipe for a mouth wash that is pretty much guaranteed to take your canker sores away. You will have to go to a health food store to buy them:
- 2 tsp Chinese Red Sage (Salvia officinalis var. rubia; leaves are preferred, but the root will also work (found at most Chinese herb stores); any of the other Salvia’s will also work
- 2 tsp German Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
Add the herbs to a mug of hot water and let cool until comfortably warm. Then strain out the herbs (best to use a large tea ball), swish, rinse, and spit out. Repeat daily until you have a happy mouth. The two herbs carry out effective actions that kill bugs, lubricate, calm, and tighten the tissue, reduce inflammation, and speed up healing. It tastes terrible, and it works.
Posted in Canker Sores, Home Page, Mouth, Pain & Inflammation, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged Aphthous ulcer, Biology, canker, Flora and Fauna, german chamomile, heal, Health, herb, Home Remedy, Magnesium hydroxide, Mouth, mouth wash, natural, naturopath, Shopping, sore, Ulcer
There is a specific homeopathic first aid remedy for sciatica following injury – Ruta graveolens. The standard practice for first aid potencies in homeopathy are 30ch and 200ch. As always, it is best to first consult a naturopathic or homeopathic doctor to determine whether Ruta is the right choice for you.
Posted in First Aid, Home Page, Homeopathics, Pain & Inflammation
Tagged Alternative, Health, Homeopath, homeopathy, naturopath, Ruta, Sciatic nerve, Sciatica
Got an animal bite, insect bite, or a simple sting? Ledum is the classic homeopathic first aid remedy used to treat such a case. Try a 30CH potency and take as directed or with increased frequency. Obviously seek medical attention if injury is severe or if you are worried about infection.
Posted in Bites & Stings, First Aid, Home Page, Homeopathics, Pain & Inflammation, Skin, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged bite, Conditions and Diseases, First aid, Health, homeopathy, Insect bites and stings, Ledum, naturopath, sting, Wounds and Injuries