Certain herbs can help take the edge off an ear infection. The following herbs can be combined in a tea to help relieve and heal this painful condition:
- Actions: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory (reduces pain), vulnerary (encourages healing), calms the nervous system
- Actions: antimicrobial, enhances immune function, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal (loosens mucus – think eustachian tube), vulnerary
- Actions: demulcent (protects mucosal tissues and helps thin thickened mucus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant
- Slippery Elm
- Actions: demulcent, astringent, anti-inflammatory, nutritive
- Sambucus (Black Elder)
- Actions: expectorant, diaphoretic (enhances sweating – aids fever), vulnerary, anti-catarrhal
Do not consume if allergic to Asteraceae (Asters) or Chrysanthemum family herbs/plants.
Consult your naturopathic doctor or registered herbalist to see if this tea is indicated for you.
Posted in Ear, Pain & Inflammation, Sore Throat & Colds
Tagged althea, black, chamomile, chamomilla, Ear, ear infection, earache, echinacea, elder, elm, herb, herbal, marshmallow, natural, naturopath, pain, remedy, safe, sambucus, slippery, Tea, treat, ulmus
Taurine is an amino acid that works to remove toxic chemicals and metabolites from the body through the phase II liver detoxification pathway. Vitamin B6 is a necessary cofactor the body uses to produce taurine. B6 and taurine levels tend to be low in individuals sensitive to perfume, which usually contain aldehydes that deplete B6 and taurine. If you suffer from a perfume/odour sensitivity, you may want to consider supplementing vitamin B6 and taurine. Also be aware of certain drugs that lower vitamin B6 such as oral contraceptives, amphetamines, chlorpromazine, isoniazid and reserpine. Consult your naturopathic doctor if you think you may benefit from taking taurine and vitamin B6.
Other signs of possible vitamin B6 deficiency: dry cracks in the corners of the mouth (cheilosis), inflammation of the tongue, eczema, fatigue, depression, anxiety, insomnia, irritability, and confusion.
Posted in Allergies, Home Page, Nausea and Vomiting
Tagged allergy, B6, chemical, detox, help, natural, naturopath, nausea, odor, odour, perfume, remedy, sensitivity, sick, smell, taurine, vitamin
There are general guidelines for treating ADD / ADHD / Autism regardless of age. The following 5 bullets are essential:
- Eliminate gluten
- Eliminate dairy
- Eliminate all dyes or food coloring
- Eliminate refined sugar or as much as possible
- Eliminate all artificial sweeteners, additives, and processed foods
In medicine, what can cure can cause, and what can cause can cure. Therefore, one or two small sips of coffee (a stimulant) can help mellow an overactive mind and improve concentration (can also cure a headache).
- Fish oil – must have a minimum EPA:DHA ratio of 2:1
- Ganoderma lucidum (mycelium and spore forms recommended)
- Mycelium – targets cognition (helps balance communication and information processing; helps balance over-stimulated neurological conditions)
- Spores – the extra-strength version of the mushroom (promotes detoxification; strong anti-inflammatory (i.e. brain inflammation) and acts synergistically with mycelium)
- Recommended brand (USDA certified organic) can be ordered here:
Any condition that falls within autism-spectrum disorder is likely under a heavy toxic burden (heavy metals, glyphosate, etc.). It is advised to work with an ND or MD who is experienced with chelation and the removal of chemical toxins. The following ways will help reduce a toxic burden:
- Infrared sauna (SaunaRay brand is free of toxic glues/chemicals released with heat)
- Exercise that promotes sweat.
- Cilantro (helps eliminate heavy metals).
- Spirulina (helps eliminate arsenic).
- Increase organic non-starchy vegetables (promotes elimination/ detoxification).
- Castor oil liver (enhances detoxification) and belly rubs (enhances elimination) – use organic castor oil in a dark glass bottle (fats store toxins (i.e. plastic bottle) and light damages oils (i.e. clear bottle)).
- Coconut oil + fiber (causes bad cholesterol to bind to fiber which is eliminated via feces; cholesterol contains toxins the body needs to eliminate).
- Increase water intake to promote elimination (General: women = 2L/day; men = 3L/day).
- Drink only reverse osmosis (RO) or distilled water or use a Berkey water filter with added fluoride and arsenic filters. You must remineralize RO or distilled water before drinking (use mineral drops (e.g. Concentrace) or add a tea ball (cold water extraction) high in minerals (e.g. stinging nettle or a tea grown from volcanic soil), otherwise your body will leach minerals from your bones to re-mineralize the water.
- 1-5 minutes a day of deep breathing (recommended app: Stop, Breathe, Think) to promote relaxation and relieve any underlying anxiety
- Ensure adequate daily protein intake to stabilize blood sugar (0.8-1g per kg of lean body weight)
- Switch from simple carbohydrates to complex carbohydrates (slows down the conversion of sugar to glucose) to maintain a more stable state of energy. Google simple and complex carbohydrates for a complete list.
- Be aware of EMF. Keep your cell phone away from you and turn it off at night. Turn off all wireless signals at night or even better – only use cables for internet connectivity.
Be sure to consult your ND or MD as to whether any of the above suggestions are right for you.
Posted in ADD/ADHD, Autism, Home Page
Tagged ADD, ADHD, Alternative, arsenic, artificial, Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Autism, Autism-Spectrum, berkey, Cell phone, cilantro, Cognitive, color, concentrace, cure, dairy, deep breathing, Disorder, distilled, dye, EMF, energy, exercise, fat, fiber, fish, fish oil, fluoride, Food, Functional, Ganoderma, General, gluten, Health, heavy metals, herb, Home, infrared, lucidium, Medicine, Mental Health, mercury, mobile, mycelium, natural, naturopath, nettle, nutrition, oil, Olive oil, remedy, reverse osmosis, sauna, SaunaRay, spirulina, spore, sugar, Tea, volcano, water, Wireless
Natural head lice remedy:
- 10 drops of Tea Tree oil
- 5 drops of Lavender oil
- Mix the oils into hair conditioner and let sit in hair for 30 minutes before rinsing out.
Check with your ND first to ensure whether this is the best treatment remedy for your hair infestation :)
Posted in Essential Oils, Hair, Home Page
Tagged cure, essential oil, head lice, lavender, lice, natural, Naturopathic, remedy, shampoo, tea tree, treat
Learned this when one when a school elder treated my colleague for her early outbreak of shingles. Vitamin B12 injections around the rash site (“Surround the Dragon” in Chinese Medicine terms) had the rash gone within the next couple days. If you think you have shingles – go see your Naturopathic Doctor!
Cranberry juice is a common treatment option for urinary tract infections (UTIs). However, in the case of a UTI due to E. coli, cranberry juice might not be the best form of treatment. E. coli bacteria prefer an acidic environment to thrive on, and cranberry juice is acidic. What you can do is pee on some pH paper to determine the acidity of your urine in the case of having a UTI. If your pH is neutral (7) or basic (>7), you can rest assure you will not add fuel to the fire by drinking cranberry juice (in this case it would be helpful).
Posted in Home Page, Sex Health, Urinary Tract Infection
Tagged bacteria, cranberries, cranberry, cure, E. coli, heal, natural, naturopath, pH, remedy, treat, urinary tract infection, UTI
Got a bee sting? Try Apis (30C or 200C (200C is a little bit stronger than 30C)). AND GO TO THE HOSPITAL if you are worried!
Got a peanut reaction (synthetic/chemical)? Try Carbolic Acid (30C or 200C). AND GO TO THE HOSPITAL if you are worried!
If anaphylaxis is the issue, try either Poumon-Histamine or Gentiana lutea (200C) AND GO TO THE HOSPITAL!!! You may find that you do not need treatment once you get there, but don’t take the risk – homeopathy may not be for everyone.
Posted in Bites & Stings, Emergency, First Aid, Home Page
Tagged allergy, Alternative, anaphylactic, anaphylaxis, apis, bee, carbolic acid, emergency, gentiana lutea, Homeopath, homeopathic, homeopathy, natural, naturopath, Naturopathic, nuts, peanut, peanuts, poumon-histamine, reaction, remedy, sting
Ginger root (Zingiber officinale) – The tried, tested, and true nausea remedy that is completely safe for pregnant women. Best served in a tea (in my opinion).
Posted in Home Page, Nausea and Vomiting, Pregnancy
Tagged Alternative, Ginger, Health, morning sickness, natural, naturopath, nausea, pregnancy, relief, remedy, vomiting, Zingiber officinale
Nat mur (Natrum muriaticum) is one of the most common homeopathic remedies prescribed for cold sores. Try a low potency to start (30CH), or better yet – seek the advice of your ND.
Posted in Cold Sores, Herpes, Home Page, Mouth, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged Alternative, cold sore, Health, Herpes, homeopathic, homeopathy, nat mur, Natrum muriaticum, natural, naturopath, remedy, treatment
Nat mur (Natrum muriaticum) – try a 30CH potency and use as per label.
Posted in Canker Sores, Home Page, Homeopathics
Tagged canker sore, heal, Health, homeopathic, homeopathy, nat mur, Natrum muriaticum, natural, naturopath, naturopathy, remedy
Boiron, a homeopathic company, makes a remedy called Camilia. A classmate of mine who happens to be a mother of three swears by this remedy, as well as my very own sister who is a mother of two. Dan Conner (Roseanne) also suggests using frozen waffles for the little monsters to gum on, as the waffles are quite pliable and come with built-in drool cups.
Posted in Homeopathics, Teething
Tagged Business, camilia, Dan Conner, Health, homeopathy, natural, naturopath, remedy, Roseanne, Shopping, stop, Teeth, teething, Tooth