Certain herbs can help take the edge off an ear infection. The following herbs can be combined in a tea to help relieve and heal this painful condition:
- Actions: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory (reduces pain), vulnerary (encourages healing), calms the nervous system
- Actions: antimicrobial, enhances immune function, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal (loosens mucus – think eustachian tube), vulnerary
- Actions: demulcent (protects mucosal tissues and helps thin thickened mucus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant
- Slippery Elm
- Actions: demulcent, astringent, anti-inflammatory, nutritive
- Sambucus (Black Elder)
- Actions: expectorant, diaphoretic (enhances sweating – aids fever), vulnerary, anti-catarrhal
Do not consume if allergic to Asteraceae (Asters) or Chrysanthemum family herbs/plants.
Consult your naturopathic doctor or registered herbalist to see if this tea is indicated for you.
Posted in Ear, Pain & Inflammation, Sore Throat & Colds
Tagged althea, black, chamomile, chamomilla, Ear, ear infection, earache, echinacea, elder, elm, herb, herbal, marshmallow, natural, naturopath, pain, remedy, safe, sambucus, slippery, Tea, treat, ulmus
Okay, here’s what to do:
- Brew yourself the strongest batch of black tea you possibly can.
- Cool it down to a temperature your skin finds comfortable.
- Immerse a cotton ball or take one of the tea bags and place it directly on the ‘rhoid.
- Get comfy on your stomach and read a book or watch a movie to pass the time – keep it peaceful- nothing scary like The Hole.
No matter what the size the evil gremlins may be, the natural tannins of the tea will send these little minions back into the dark abyss from whence they came… and put an end to their evil, itch-filled assault on your anus.
Posted in Hemorrhoids, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation
Tagged Alternative, Alyssa Milano, Anus, black tea, charmed, Health, Hemorrhoid, Herbs, High Five, itch, Jesus, natural, naturopath, pain, Piper, Prue, Rectum, Shannen Doherty, Shopping, The Hole
Three of the many uses for castor oil:
1. Improving Digestion 2. Detoxifying the liver, 3. Reducing pain and inflammation (e.g. joint pain).
Here’s what to do:
Take two strips of organic cotton flannel free of any flame retardants, and place some plastic cut out from an old shopping bag between them. Pour a line of castor oil on one of the strips of flannel and place oil-side onto the liver, gut, or site of pain and inflammation. Use a towel to tie around or hold firm with hands to secure for 20 minutes or longer. For fans of Chinese medicine, the prime time for liver detox is 6-8pm as lymphocytes peak 7 hours after treatment, which is “Liver-Time” in Asian med (1-3am).
The molecular weight of castor oil is 298 Da, which means it can be absorbed topically, as it is less than 500 Da. Enjoy!
Posted in Detox, Digestion, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation, Poultices
Tagged Arthralgia, castor, Castor oil, detox, digestion, Flame retardant, flannel, Liver, Molecular mass, Naturopathic, oil, pain, Pain & Inflammation, Race and ethnicity in the United States Census, Traditional Chinese medicine