Certain herbs can help take the edge off an ear infection. The following herbs can be combined in a tea to help relieve and heal this painful condition:
- Actions: antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory (reduces pain), vulnerary (encourages healing), calms the nervous system
- Actions: antimicrobial, enhances immune function, anti-inflammatory, anti-catarrhal (loosens mucus – think eustachian tube), vulnerary
- Actions: demulcent (protects mucosal tissues and helps thin thickened mucus), anti-inflammatory, expectorant
- Slippery Elm
- Actions: demulcent, astringent, anti-inflammatory, nutritive
- Sambucus (Black Elder)
- Actions: expectorant, diaphoretic (enhances sweating – aids fever), vulnerary, anti-catarrhal
Do not consume if allergic to Asteraceae (Asters) or Chrysanthemum family herbs/plants.
Consult your naturopathic doctor or registered herbalist to see if this tea is indicated for you.
Posted in Ear, Pain & Inflammation, Sore Throat & Colds
Tagged althea, black, chamomile, chamomilla, Ear, ear infection, earache, echinacea, elder, elm, herb, herbal, marshmallow, natural, naturopath, pain, remedy, safe, sambucus, slippery, Tea, treat, ulmus
There are general guidelines for treating ADD / ADHD / Autism regardless of age. The following 5 bullets are essential:
- Eliminate gluten
- Eliminate dairy
- Eliminate all dyes or food coloring
- Eliminate refined sugar or as much as possible
- Eliminate all artificial sweeteners, additives, and processed foods
In medicine, what can cure can cause, and what can cause can cure. Therefore, one or two small sips of coffee (a stimulant) can help mellow an overactive mind and improve concentration (can also cure a headache).
- Fish oil – must have a minimum EPA:DHA ratio of 2:1
- Ganoderma lucidum (mycelium and spore forms recommended)
- Mycelium – targets cognition (helps balance communication and information processing; helps balance over-stimulated neurological conditions)
- Spores – the extra-strength version of the mushroom (promotes detoxification; strong anti-inflammatory (i.e. brain inflammation) and acts synergistically with mycelium)
- Recommended brand (USDA certified organic) can be ordered here:
Any condition that falls within autism-spectrum disorder is likely under a heavy toxic burden (heavy metals, glyphosate, etc.). It is advised to work with an ND or MD who is experienced with chelation and the removal of chemical toxins. The following ways will help reduce a toxic burden:
- Infrared sauna (SaunaRay brand is free of toxic glues/chemicals released with heat)
- Exercise that promotes sweat.
- Cilantro (helps eliminate heavy metals).
- Spirulina (helps eliminate arsenic).
- Increase organic non-starchy vegetables (promotes elimination/ detoxification).
- Castor oil liver (enhances detoxification) and belly rubs (enhances elimination) – use organic castor oil in a dark glass bottle (fats store toxins (i.e. plastic bottle) and light damages oils (i.e. clear bottle)).
- Coconut oil + fiber (causes bad cholesterol to bind to fiber which is eliminated via feces; cholesterol contains toxins the body needs to eliminate).
- Increase water intake to promote elimination (General: women = 2L/day; men = 3L/day).
- Drink only reverse osmosis (RO) or distilled water or use a Berkey water filter with added fluoride and arsenic filters. You must remineralize RO or distilled water before drinking (use mineral drops (e.g. Concentrace) or add a tea ball (cold water extraction) high in minerals (e.g. stinging nettle or a tea grown from volcanic soil), otherwise your body will leach minerals from your bones to re-mineralize the water.
- 1-5 minutes a day of deep breathing (recommended app: Stop, Breathe, Think) to promote relaxation and relieve any underlying anxiety
- Ensure adequate daily protein intake to stabilize blood sugar (0.8-1g per kg of lean body weight)
- Switch from simple carbohydrates to complex carbohydrates (slows down the conversion of sugar to glucose) to maintain a more stable state of energy. Google simple and complex carbohydrates for a complete list.
- Be aware of EMF. Keep your cell phone away from you and turn it off at night. Turn off all wireless signals at night or even better – only use cables for internet connectivity.
Be sure to consult your ND or MD as to whether any of the above suggestions are right for you.
Posted in ADD/ADHD, Autism, Home Page
Tagged ADD, ADHD, Alternative, arsenic, artificial, Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Autism, Autism-Spectrum, berkey, Cell phone, cilantro, Cognitive, color, concentrace, cure, dairy, deep breathing, Disorder, distilled, dye, EMF, energy, exercise, fat, fiber, fish, fish oil, fluoride, Food, Functional, Ganoderma, General, gluten, Health, heavy metals, herb, Home, infrared, lucidium, Medicine, Mental Health, mercury, mobile, mycelium, natural, naturopath, nettle, nutrition, oil, Olive oil, remedy, reverse osmosis, sauna, SaunaRay, spirulina, spore, sugar, Tea, volcano, water, Wireless
Sorry Degrassi fans, it’s not Joey, Wheels, or Snake to the rescue; Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) is nature’s real zit remedy. Simply drop Tea Tree oil on a cotton pad and apply to the affected area. You may need to dilute the tea tree into a bit of olive oil if you have sensitive skin. Personally, I have found the Holistica brand to be the strongest Tea tree on the market (as well as the biggest bang for your buck), but Nature’s Harmony and St. Francis run a close second. Most other brands ♫”will take your money and never give up.”♫
Posted in Acne, Home Page, Skin
Tagged Acne vulgaris, Australia, degrassi, Farm, Health, herb, Holistica, joey, Melaleuca alternifolia, nature's harmony, naturopath, Pimple, Skin, snake, st. francis, Tea, tea tree, Tea tree oil, wheels, zit, zits
Raspberry (Rubus idaeus) can encourage an easier birth by strengthening contractions and reducing hemorrhage during labor, and is a common parturient (prepares uterus for labor) prescribed by NDs. Consult your local ND on whether raspberry is a good choice for you.
Posted in Home Page, Pregnancy
Tagged Berry, Birth, Blackberry, contractions, Fruit, Hemorrhage, Labor, Naturopathic, parturient, pregnancy, Pregnant, Raspberry, Rosaceae, Rubus, Rubus idaeus, Tea, uterus
Got broken skin, a cut, or a split lip? Place a chamomile tea bag in a mug, add a tablespoon of hot water, and then stick in the freezer for 20-60 minutes. Ring out the bag enough so that the tea bag is not dripping, and then apply to the wound. Chamomile is a natural vulnerary, which means it speeds up healing, and is also an anti-inflammatory which reduces swelling. Drinking chamomile will also help speed up healing and reduce inflammation.
Posted in Home Page, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged AntiInflammatory, chamomile, cut, heal, honey, Matricaria chamomilla, Naturopathic, Pain & Inflammation, Tablespoon, Tea, Tea bag, vulnerary, wound, Wound healing