There are general guidelines for treating ADD / ADHD / Autism regardless of age. The following 5 bullets are essential:
- Eliminate gluten
- Eliminate dairy
- Eliminate all dyes or food coloring
- Eliminate refined sugar or as much as possible
- Eliminate all artificial sweeteners, additives, and processed foods
In medicine, what can cure can cause, and what can cause can cure. Therefore, one or two small sips of coffee (a stimulant) can help mellow an overactive mind and improve concentration (can also cure a headache).
- Fish oil – must have a minimum EPA:DHA ratio of 2:1
- Ganoderma lucidum (mycelium and spore forms recommended)
- Mycelium – targets cognition (helps balance communication and information processing; helps balance over-stimulated neurological conditions)
- Spores – the extra-strength version of the mushroom (promotes detoxification; strong anti-inflammatory (i.e. brain inflammation) and acts synergistically with mycelium)
- Recommended brand (USDA certified organic) can be ordered here:
Any condition that falls within autism-spectrum disorder is likely under a heavy toxic burden (heavy metals, glyphosate, etc.). It is advised to work with an ND or MD who is experienced with chelation and the removal of chemical toxins. The following ways will help reduce a toxic burden:
- Infrared sauna (SaunaRay brand is free of toxic glues/chemicals released with heat)
- Exercise that promotes sweat.
- Cilantro (helps eliminate heavy metals).
- Spirulina (helps eliminate arsenic).
- Increase organic non-starchy vegetables (promotes elimination/ detoxification).
- Castor oil liver (enhances detoxification) and belly rubs (enhances elimination) – use organic castor oil in a dark glass bottle (fats store toxins (i.e. plastic bottle) and light damages oils (i.e. clear bottle)).
- Coconut oil + fiber (causes bad cholesterol to bind to fiber which is eliminated via feces; cholesterol contains toxins the body needs to eliminate).
- Increase water intake to promote elimination (General: women = 2L/day; men = 3L/day).
- Drink only reverse osmosis (RO) or distilled water or use a Berkey water filter with added fluoride and arsenic filters. You must remineralize RO or distilled water before drinking (use mineral drops (e.g. Concentrace) or add a tea ball (cold water extraction) high in minerals (e.g. stinging nettle or a tea grown from volcanic soil), otherwise your body will leach minerals from your bones to re-mineralize the water.
- 1-5 minutes a day of deep breathing (recommended app: Stop, Breathe, Think) to promote relaxation and relieve any underlying anxiety
- Ensure adequate daily protein intake to stabilize blood sugar (0.8-1g per kg of lean body weight)
- Switch from simple carbohydrates to complex carbohydrates (slows down the conversion of sugar to glucose) to maintain a more stable state of energy. Google simple and complex carbohydrates for a complete list.
- Be aware of EMF. Keep your cell phone away from you and turn it off at night. Turn off all wireless signals at night or even better – only use cables for internet connectivity.
Be sure to consult your ND or MD as to whether any of the above suggestions are right for you.
Posted in ADD/ADHD, Autism, Home Page
Tagged ADD, ADHD, Alternative, arsenic, artificial, Attention Deficit Disorder, Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, Autism, Autism-Spectrum, berkey, Cell phone, cilantro, Cognitive, color, concentrace, cure, dairy, deep breathing, Disorder, distilled, dye, EMF, energy, exercise, fat, fiber, fish, fish oil, fluoride, Food, Functional, Ganoderma, General, gluten, Health, heavy metals, herb, Home, infrared, lucidium, Medicine, Mental Health, mercury, mobile, mycelium, natural, naturopath, nettle, nutrition, oil, Olive oil, remedy, reverse osmosis, sauna, SaunaRay, spirulina, spore, sugar, Tea, volcano, water, Wireless
Maybe it’s just me, but shingles seems to be on the rise. Like any other herpes virus (e.g. cold sores) it may be helpful to supplement with the amino acid lysine to decrease the duration, while avoiding the amino acid arginine (arginine can worsen or prolong the outbreak). Foods high in arginine are turkey, pork, chicken, soy, dairy, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, and peas. Talk to your ND to see if this is the right choice for you.
Posted in Cold Sores, Emergency, Herpes, Home Page, Pain & Inflammation, Prescription Foods, Skin, Supplements/Vitamins
Tagged Alternative, arginine, cure, Food, Home Remedy, lysine, natural, naturopath, Shingles
Protein is the single most important nutrient for aging well. A lack of protein = a susceptibility for musculoskeletal injury (e.g. a broken hip) AND cognitive dysfunction (e.g. dementia). The thing to remember is older populations have less ability to absorb nutrients than younger populations. Therefore, eating frequent, small amounts of protein daily rather than large amounts of protein once or twice a day is ideal to offset this nutrient absorption limitation. As a general measure, you can calculate your daily protein requirement (grams) by multiplying your body weight (kilograms) by 0.8 (e.g. 70kg x 0.8 = 56g of protein minimum per day).
Posted in Aging, Dementia, Home Page
Tagged aging, Alzheimer's, broken hip, calculate, dementia, elderly, Food, injury, natural, Naturopathic, nutrition, prevention, protein
Some doc’s put their high cholesterol patients on fat (cholesterol) free diets. If you are one of these people, then you may want to have a conversation with your doctor for some clarity. Here’s why:
Carbohydrates (sugar) get broken down into Acetyl-CoA. Acetyl-CoA is the first building block for cholesterol synthesis. The step by step process for cholesterol synthesis is: Acetyl-CoA -> HMG-CoA -> Mevalonate -> Squalene -> Cholesterol. Therefore, a reduction in one’s consumption of simple carbohydrates is essential.
Furthermore, cholesterol is eliminated from the body via bile, and bile is comprised of steroids that come from cholesterol. Consuming fats (cholesterol) causes the gallbladder to contract and release bile, which binds bad cholesterol for elimination in the feces. In a nutshell, if you’re not eating any fats, you’re not eliminating bad cholesterol. And if you’re consuming lots of carbs, then you’re making matters worse.
Talk to your ND for dietary solutions if you have high cholesterol :)
Posted in Blood Pressure, Cholesterol, Home Page
Tagged acetyl-coa, Alternative, arterioscleosis, athersclerosis, bile, carbohydrates, carbs, Cholesterol, diet, fat, Food, healthy, high blood pressure, natural, naturopath, nutrition
Herpetic outbreaks (i.e. coldsores, genital herpes) can be influenced by one’s dietary intake of two amino acids – lysine and arginine. Lysine is known to reduce outbreaks (a good thing), while arginine is known to exacerbate them (a bad thing). Below is a list of foods high in each amino acid (in no particular order):
- Lysine powder (your best option)
- Egg white
- Game meat (elk, deer, etc)
- Whole dry milk
- Most cheeses (e.g. cottage (dry or low fat), ricotta, cheddar, mozzarella, edam; Dutch gouda and unprocessed swiss are the highest)
- Apricots (dried)
- Soy protein isolate
- Shell fish
- Pea protein powder
Posted in Cold Sores, Herpes, Home Page, Mouth
Tagged Almond, Alternative, apricot, arginine, brazil, carob, chedder, cheese, chicken, cold sore, coldsore, cottage, deer, edam, egg, elk, fish, Food, gelatin, gouda, hazelnut, Herpes, HSV, lysine, milk, mozzarella, natural, naturopath, nutrition, nuts, peanut, ricotta, seaweed, sesame, shell fish, soy protein, swiss, tahini
Schizophrenia has been linked to mothers having low phosphatidylcholine levels during pregnancy. If you are pregnant, consult your N.D. about your phosphatidylcholine levels.
Posted in Home Page, Pregnancy, Prescription Foods
Tagged Alternative, Food, Health, natural, naturopath, phosphatidylcholine, Pregnant, prevention, Schizophrenia
To ensure I get some patients when I enter practice, I can’t be giving away all my trade secrets on this blog (especially on this issue). But here are a few simple things you can do to help put a little wood back into the engine that could. Before business time (AKA: sexual intercourse), drink pomegranate juice, celery juice (requires a juicer), and eat some dark chocolate (90%). Do NOT blend the celery in a blender (instead of juicing) or you will probably end up with gas… the ultimate anti-aphrodisiac.
Posted in Home Page, Sex Health
Tagged Alternative, better sex, boner, celery, cialis, dark chocolate, erectile dysfunction, erection, Food, natural, naturopath, Naturopathic, nutrition, pomegranate, power, sex, sexual intercourse, strength, vasodilator, viagra
For people with dementia, coconut oil is a prescription food. Why? Their brain can’t metabolize glucose (fuel) normally. Coconut oil is a medium-chain triglyceride (fat) that can be broken down into keytones – an alternate fuel source for the brain that IS normally metabolized in a person with dementia! Go see your ND regarding proper coconut oil dosage and use.
Posted in Dementia, Home Page, Prescription Foods
Tagged Alternative, coconut oil, dementia, Food, Health, keytone, metabolism, metabolize, naturopath, triglyceride
From my nutrition class:
In adults, 30g/day (2.2tbsp) of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil will:
- reduce blood pressure in people with hypertension
- improve glucose control in people with diabetes
- lower cholesterol
Never heat your oil. Either drink the 30g/day or add it to your food after cooking. It’s always a good idea to consult your ND beforehand.
Posted in Cholesterol, Diabetes, Home Page, Hypertension
Tagged Alernative, Cholesterol, Diabetes, Food, high blood pressure, Hypertention, natural, naturopath, nutrition, Olive oil
From my nutrition class:
- Fish oil is great for treating ADD/ADHD.
- Fish oil that is DHA is useless (for ADD/ADHD).
- Fish oil that is EPA is the good stuff.
- Select a ratio of EPA:DHA that is at least 2:1.
- Talk to your ND on proper dosage.
Posted in ADD/ADHD, Home Page
Tagged ADD, ADHD, Alternative, DHA, EPA, fish oil, Food, Health, natural, naturopath, nutrition
A correlation has been found between beta-carotene and lung cancer in smokers. Aside from its presence in various fruits and vegetables (typically orange colored ones), it is also found in food coloring: E160a. So if you have yet to kick the cancer stick, you may want to alter your diet and supplements. You may also want to check out my other tip on ending the habit.
Posted in Addiction, Home Page, Smoking
Tagged beta-carotene, Cancer, Carrot, Cigarette, Conditions and Diseases, dye, Food, food color, Health, Lung, Lung cancer, naturopath, Smoking, Smoking cessation, supplement
Worried about infection? To kill microscopic bugs, try spreading organic, unpasteurized honey on a wound or eating it to treat a sore throat. It will also help reduce inflammation and will speed up healing.
Do not give honey to a child under 2 years of age.
Posted in Home Page, Sore Throat & Colds, Wounds/Sores/Burns
Tagged antimicrobial, Food, heal, healing, Health, Health effects of honey, honey, infection, Naturopathic, Pain & Inflammation, Pasteurization, Shopping, sore throat, Sweeteners, unpasteurized, wound